November 19th, 2014 Jolla introduced Jolla Tablet at Slush 2014 conference.
Since then, miracles are happening. Latest updates December 8th:
- Trending top3 campaign,
All time top12 crowdfunding
- $1.6 million from 11 500 funders
- Upgrade: support for 128Gb SD cards (reached)
- Upgrade: Split Screen (reached)
- Upgrade: HSDPA/3.5G mobile internet (hours to go... unlike)
- Offer: Jolla phone for 227€
Followup: Crowdsourced Jolla Tablet reaches top lists in fundingShare and Shout! Your friends might read it.
Update, November, 24 2014: Today, Jolla's tablet campaign with Indiegogo has reached "trending top3" and "all time top20" lists in crowdfunding at Indiegogo.
Update, December 8, 2014: Customers pre-ordering the tablet can add Jolla phone to their order for $279 (227€). This perk is available to EU / Norway / Switzerland customers only, and it's the lowest price offered in the markets so far. Offer is valid only until end of the campaign. The campaign gains also in the All Time TOP crowdfunding list on Indiegogo: Currently 12th position, and even top10 is still possible.
Update, December 9, 2014: 2nd goal, Split Screen feature for Sailfish OS 2.0 was reached at 21:30 UTC after 7000 tablets and $1.75 million crowdfunding
ETA: Tuesday, 5pm UTC #Jolla #Tablet #crowdfunding #campaign will reach the #SplitScreen goal http://t.co/xUmU5JfIFb What's your estimate?Short storyline so far:
— Review Jolla (@reviewjolla) December 8, 2014
- Nov 19th, 2014: Jolla, a Finnish start up company, announced their second device - Jolla Tablet - launched as "People Powered" crowdfunding campaign at Indiegogo
- The First Sailor batch (1000 tablets) were sold out within one hour.
- $380 000 goal was reached in 2 hours 15 minutes
- 2nd batch of 1000 tablets were quickly sold out, price tag $199
- Nov 20th, 2014: 3rd Batch of 2000 tablets were sold out with price tag $204
- No more "Early Birds". 4th batch of 1000 tablets has price tag 209€, and Jolla revealed that the expected retail price is $249
- Nov 21st, 2014: Jolla Tablet funding reaches $1 million after 1.5 days
- To celebrate passing $1M, Jolla offers 100 EUR discount on their phone for European markets
- Nov 22nd, 2014: Tablet availability was expanded to new countries:
- Now pre-orders offered to AU, CA, CH, CN, EU, IN, NO, RU, US
- Nov 23rd, 2014: Campaign hits trending top3
- Nov 24th, 2014: Campaign hits all time top20 funding
- Nov 25th, 2014: Campaign has reached 1 million EUR from 7752 Funders
- Nov 27th, 2014: Jolla adds new pledge goals to the campaign, including 3.5G (HSDPA) mobile network support, shared display and 128Gb memory card support for Jolla Tablet
- Dec 2nd, 2014: Lastucase perk added. Desing from Finland for $49
- Dec 2nd, 2014: Referral race - community to support sales
- Dec 5th, 2014: $1.5 million funding brings in support for 128Gb SD cards
- Dec 8th, 2014: Combo pack added
- Dec 9th, 2014: $1.75 million funding brings in Split Screen feature
- Current situation, pre-ordering, and more information at Indiegogo
Operating system of Jolla Tablet is Sailfish OS 2.0 - a Linux based open source project with a history of Maemo and Meego (Nokia N9). It runs Sailfish apps and supports running Android apps as well.
Sailfish OS 1.0 is running on one device only: Jolla Phone, which has been in the markets for 1 year. Customers are waiting for each update, and so far there's been already 9 bigger ones and a few hotfixes. Latest version 22.214.171.124 is expected to be replaced with a newer release soon.
Jolla Oy is a Finnish company developing the operating system. Jolla is not aiming to be a device manufacturer, and both Jolla Phone and the upcoming Jolla Tablet can be seen as presentation platforms for the new user experience offered by Sailfish OS. Jolla is looking forward for device manufacturers, including Nokia, to licence their operating system. Sailfish OS competes with Android and iOS with its unique, gesture based user experience and buttonless design.
Share and Shout! Your friends might read it.
Sources: jolla.com/tablet, Indiegogo project page
Cover image: "Millionare Tablet enters Canada" by gooie-duck & Review Jolla, CC by 3.0
Published: November 24, 2014 05:05 UTC
Updated: December 9, 2014 23:50 UTC