Sailfish OS 22.214.171.124 Taalojärvi for Jolla PhoneOn May 9, 2016 after a long wait of more than 6 months since the previous public release 126.96.36.199, Jolla today released a system update for Jolla Phone. Jolla Tablets got this update already a week ago. Early access testing phase took long while Jolla was hunting down a bug affecting to received phone calls. The bug has not yet confirmed to be fixed, but it's strongly suggested to be so.
Sailfish OS 188.8.131.52 Taalojärvi available for all
Share and Shout! Your friends might read it.
OverviewThe update includes important security updates (e.g. for glibc vulnerability), few new features and a lots of minor bugs fixed. Unfortunately with no updates to package licenses, Sailfish OS user interface seems to remain proprietary code.
Top 12 features and fixes - picks from the changelog
- Gallery: Share pictures to your Dropbox or OneDrive account
- People: Past communication events displayed on contact cards
- Events: Access to Events settings from Events View shortcuts menu
- Home: Flicking between Homescreen views made easier
- Calendar: Improved day view layout
- Browser: Update Aptoide installation support
- Keyboard: Hindi language added
- MS Exchange: Support for global address book
- Privacy: Allow installing untrusted software without Jolla account
- Privacy: Allow toggling password text visibility in password fields across the OS
- Security: Fix CVE-2015-5986, CVE-2015-5722, CVE-2015-5477, CVE-2015-4620, CVE-2015-8126, CVE-2015-7981, CVE-2015-7547, CVE-2016-0800.
- Tablet: Landscape support for Bluetooth pairing and file transfer dialogs
Sailfish OS Taalojärvi is already tested by Early Adopters:
- 184.108.40.206 (2016-01-19): Initial Early Access release
- 220.127.116.11 (2016-04-28): 2nd Early Access release
- 18.104.22.168 (2016-05-09): Public release
Jolla announced Early Adopter Program on January 2015, enabling delivering the release candidates to volunteers among the customers earlier than the update is released for public. They are reporting their findings on TJC, and those are supposed to be either fixed or edited into the release notes. Changes between SailfishOS 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199
The next Sailfish OS update?
Sailfish OS 2.0.2.x, introducing Super Apps (earlier: Partner Space) for licensed devices is already under work and should not take long to reach EA release. My guess is in about 3 weeks. Note that Jolla branded devices are not expected to be updated with Super Apps, according to the latest information we've received from Jolla. Introduction to Partner Space (for Intex brand)
- recommended max used storage is 10 GB (3.7 GB free) according to Jolla Zendesk. You can check your storage space in Settings > System > About product.
- If you use phonehook from OpenRepos, uninstall it before upgrading
- If you use patchmanager, revert all applied patches before upgrading
- If your device is running software version lower than 188.8.131.52 and have WareHouse app installed (i.e you are using OpenRepos), disable all openrepo repositories before attempting to upgrade your device
- Take a backup of your data before attempting to upgrade your device. A successful backup operation is indicated by a green dot in the UI
- Keep your Jolla connected to charger
- Do not reboot the device while the update is in progress.
- The device screen may blank out during the update process, you may waken the display by a short press on the power key to monitor the progress.
- For detailed instructions on updating software, visit Zendesk
Known issues on the update process
- It has happened to some users that the update process gets stuck on optimization phase. This might happen either if you haven't got enough of free storage (3.7GB recommended) or your memory allocation space is full (less than 90% recommended). You can check your memory allocation using Terminal (app enabled when developer mode is activated) and running command
- btrfs-balancer allocation
If the result is more than 90%, please first remove as many files as possible. If you're on 100% it might be difficult to even remove any files. In that case start from removing some small files. Tips for cleaning can be found here here. After reaching enough of free storage, perform a manual balancing with commands:
- (passwd, hidden typing)
- btrfs balance start -dusage=55 /
Note all the 4 spaces included in the last command. Running it might take some time, please keep your phone powered on while the process. If the balancing doesn't go through, try with lower dusage number first. Try to get the balancing completed with at least 55 (the higher the number, the more time is needed, up to 100). After completed, you can try the system update again via Settings > System > Sailfish OS updates
Sailfish OS Taalojärvi - the nameWe've kept you up to date with the Finnish lakes which Jolla is using in their release naming. Taalojärvi is a rather small lake in Lapland near Kittilä, Finland. Translation was this time pretty easy:
- "Taalo", evil mythological creature (giant troll) living in the forest, attacking people and sometimes even taking their lives. This word has been used in old stories
- "järvi", lake
- The whole name "Taalojärvi" translates to evil "Troll lake"
There are 187 888 lakes in Finland, including the small ones, so we might have more than a few updates coming up.
Share and Shout! Your friends might read it.
Sources: TJC(1), TJC(2), Zendesk, sailfishos.org
Published: 2016-05-09 14:54 UTC
Updated: 2016-05-10 16:53 UTC (Known issues on the update process)