Available to download on Jolla branded devices starting on October 9, 2017 (phased release, so not for everybody in the first date), this update brings in new features like Dropbox V2 API, Android support update for Jolla C and Tablet, direct access to the camera from the lock screen, Mobile Device Management for corporate usage, new VPN features yet still on beta level, calendar cover showing more events, PyOtherSide 1.5 for coders etc. etc.
System update 18.104.22.168 Kiiminkijoki for Jolla Phone, Jolla C and Jolla Tablet
Worth a read? Please share:
Top 10 features from changelog
- Dropbox support is back with upgraded V2 API
- Mobile Device Management (MDM): Targeted for corporate usage, this feature enables usage policies to certain device activities such as system updates, WLAN provisioning, sideloading of apps, sharing, location settings and more. The feature is not installed into the OS, but instead enabled via using API's in order to make MDM compatible with Sailfish OS.
- Camera access: Now you can access your camera directly from the lock screen. You can also disable this feature via settings menu "gestures".
- Upcoming calendar events: Kiiminkijoki will show you calendar events from upcoming days directly on your notification screen.
- Tatar language and keyboard: Our community votes which language should be next in line and contributes into translating Sailfish OS strings to those languages. Tatar language was chosen and translated by the help of our dear community for this update.
- Bluez5 on Jolla C: Using Bluetooth Low Energy or BLE is now possible on Jolla C devices in order to save battery while having reliable and fast Bluetooth connections between supported devices.
- New VPN types: L2TP or Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol PPTP or Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol are the two new types of VPN that are being included on this update.
- Editing saved WLAN networks even when being outside their range
- Improved reliability on gestures
- Android support update for Jolla C and Jolla Tablet
Some downgrades and known issues from changelog
- Google Talk: Hangouts feature is disabled. As a workaround, it's still possible to add an XMPP account with Google credentials to enable 1-1 chat on Jolla branded devices.
- Bluetooth audio: Routing low quality audio (8 kHz mono) to Bluetooth headsets disabled for media use cases. Does not affect on phone call audio.
- VPN: Implementation is still at beta level.
- Bluetooth pairing may occasionally fail (on Jolla Tablet, in particular), or turning Bluetooth ON may fail. In such cases it is best to restart the Jolla device and try again.
- Bluetooth pairing may fail with some car models especially in case of Jolla C devices. Sometimes synchronizing the phonebook may fail, too.
- SIM cards: Reliance Jio SIM cards (India) work in SIM slot #2 only according to some reports. We are not aware of similar issues in other networks.
First reported issues which might hold you back from updating yet*
- Three users reported a reboot loop after trying to update (!)
- Some users have reported problems with sending or receiving MMS
- Few users have experienced loosing connection while using Android apps, e.g. with WhatsApp
- Few users have reported that E-mail sound setting is not respected.
- One user has reported problem in creating new contact
Upgrade version history
- 2017-10-02: 22.214.171.124 Released to Early access subscribers
- 2017-10-09: 126.96.36.199 Released to public. Roll-out is phased, so not for everybody on the first day.
The next Sailfish OS update?
Sailfish OS 2.1.3.x is currently being tested and translated. No release schedule has been announced, guessing this based on two earlier updates we might expect this on April 2018, guessing based on average release gap we might expect this between December 2017 and January 2018. A long time ago Jolla has shared they aim for monthly updates, but it's been long since that happened. The statement, however, has not been updated so it's still possible (but unlikely) that they come up with a new release already on November. You'll be informed also on our page Upcoming
- Recommended max used storage is 10 GB (3.7 GB free) according to Jolla Zendesk. You can check your storage space in Settings > Storage (or Settings > System > About product in older versions).
- If you use phonehook or CallRecorder from OpenRepos, uninstall these before upgrading
- If you use patchmanager, revert all applied patches before upgrading
- If your device is running software version lower than 188.8.131.52 and have WareHouse app installed (i.e you are using OpenRepos), disable all openrepo repositories before attempting to upgrade your device
- Take a backup of your data before attempting to upgrade your device. A successful backup operation is indicated by a green dot in the UI
- Restart the device before starting the OS download. This ensures the maximum amount of free working memory (RAM) for the demanding process.
- USER REPORT: On Jolla Phone, remove any 3rd party hardware having special software (e.g. Qwerty-keyboard TOH) and reboot before starting the update process. If attached while updating, you might loose connectivity
- Keep your Jolla connected to charger
- Do not reboot the device while the update is in progress.
- The device screen may blank out during the update process, you may waken the display by a short press on the power key to monitor the progress.
- For detailed instructions on updating software, visit Zendesk
If the update fails, your memory allocation might be full.
This is different than memory storage space. Check this using Linux terminal (write yellow lines on terminal):
- btrfs-balancer allocation
If the result is more than 90%, please first remove as many files as possible. If you're on 100% it might be difficult to even remove any files. In that case start from removing some small files. After reaching enough of free storage, perform a manual balancing with commands:
- (passwd, hidden typing)
- btrfs balance start -dusage=55 /
Note all 4 spaces included in the last command line. Running it might take some time, please keep your phone powered on while the process. If the balancing doesn't go through, try with lower dusage number first. Try to get the balancing completed with at least 55 (the higher the number, the more time is needed, up to 100). After completed, you can try the system update again via Settings > System > Sailfish OS updates
Previous Sailfish OS updates
Sailfish OS Kiiminkijoki - the name
Jolla uses lakes and rivers of Finland in their release naming. Kiiminkijoki is a long river streaming closeby Oulu, one of the rising technology centers in western Finland. The etymology of the name relates to a first name given to both boys and girls in Greenland and Lapland:
"Kiiminki" can be interpreted as "small Kiimi" (or nowadays "small Kimi", meaning the first name of for example Kimi Räikkönen). Does this mean that Sailfish OS is getting speed, having relation to Formula 1 champion's given name? We don't know, but an interesting coincidence anyway.
"Joki" translates direct as "river"
So, we might want to call this update as
"The river of a small F1 champion (!)"
Share and Shout! Your friends might read it.
Sources: Changelog, Release notes, Jolla Zendesk, TJC
Published: 2017-10-10 17:27 UTC
Updated: 2017-10-11 20:44 UTC
By the way, does somebody know, why Jolla had changed the SailfishOS logo in 2016?ReplyDelete
When uptdating still miss the former logo...
The old logo was last seen on Sailfish OS 2.0.1 Taalojärvi, but no information was shared about the reasons for the change. However it might not have been only a cosmetic switch, as it also marked the time when Jolla moved their focus from hardware to software.Delete
i having a big issue with playstore. i am always getting error messages while opening a android applications. 60% of google apps i am using. its hard for me. any solution for this ?
On which device, on which sfos version, and are there any changes to the installation made by you?Delete
after update to 184.108.40.206 i get popup message "Try Snow White ...." every half hour. When i press button "install" - nothing happens. I can't find another buttons/menus - only button "install". How can i disable this popup - i really sick of this message?
That's not nice. Maybe worth contacting Jolla Care, but here's what you can check and try yourself:Delete
1. (if using Jolla Phone) Make sure your TOH's are recognized. Dial *#*#310#*#* to launch test tools, select individual test and find NFC test on the list. Write down the Snow White TOH's NFC ID from there in case you need to contact Jolla Care on this matter.
2. Make sure you can access Store on your device
3. If you have developer mode enabled, open terminal app and try these commands:
- pkcon refresh
- pkcon install ambience-snow-white
Thank you! "pkcon install ambience-snow-white" helped me!Delete
I tried to update all my android apps (facebook, instagram, whatsapp etc..) in my Intex aqua fish (SFOS- 220.127.116.11) , and some of them were able to load and install, but some applications got stucked. I also reset my phone, downloading and installing them from store but the apps are still stuck with the "Installing..." label... Please help!ReplyDelete