For testing the supported video formats in Sailfish Browser, I made a Short HD video clip with Jolla Smartphone. Let's see which is/are the working way(s) to upload a video and watch it using Jolla's default Sailfish Browser:
Jolla Camera video playback on Sailfish Browser
Share and Shout! Your friends might read it.
1A. Original video (mp4mov) and audio, embedded with html5 code:
1B. Converted video (mp4/h264 codec), audio removed. Embedded with html5 code:
3. Youtube embedded video (auto converted by Youtube uploader)
RESULTS (Please comment if have other findings )
HTML5 video embedding, watched in Sailfish Browser
- Video's from the phone must be converted (If Jolla should be able to show its own videos in its own browser)
- Framerate in dark surrounding was only 12 frames per second. Phone should be able to do FullHD recording with better frame rate (15fps or 30fps)
- When converting videos, it might show up upside down. Workaround: Turn your phone to the left (anticlockwise) when recording in landscape.
- The way to succeed: Convert the video with codec h264 (capsulation staying as mp4).
Embedded Youtube, watched in Sailfish Browser
- Video doesn't show in total (this 11 seconds video stops around 7 seconds, while the sound is still going on)
- Comparing the output between Jolla and Computer screen, the Youtube video format (automatic converting when uploaded) is laggy on Jolla
- However, the video starts and isn't upside down. This is the easiest way to show at least something.
HTML5 video, watched in other browsers
All the biggest browsers have their own support for HTML5 video formats. For full visibility, two converted versions are needed. In the good side, html5 code doesn't use iframes or Java. Supported formats:
- Firefox: mp4, webM, ogg
- Chrome: mp4, webM, ogg
- Internet Explorer: mp4
- Safari: mp4
- Opera: webM, ogg
Jolla Browser does not support playback of mp4 videos recorded with Jolla's camera, but it does support mp4 videos with h264 codec (html5 support)
Published: 2014-01-01 10:00 UTC
Updated: 2015-05-30 12:46 UTC